Dr. Ferran Guedea Edo
One of the leading experts in radiotherapy of breast, gynaecological and cervical tumours. Doctorate Cum Laude and recognised by awards such as the Ernest Lluch Prize and the Gold Medal of the SFRO (Société Française de Radiothérapie Oncologique). In addition, he is a university lecturer and past president of the Spanish Society of Radiation Oncology.
More than 25 years of experience
- Appointed staff physician by call for merits in the Radiation Oncology Department. Position held from 1988 to 1995.
- Clinical Manager by call for merits in the Radiation Oncology Department. Appointed in 1995.
- Appointed Head of the Radiation Oncology Department through a call for merits. Appointed in February 1997, and holding the same position at the present time, Catalan Oncology Institute. Duran i Reynals Hospital.
- Specialist in radiotherapy of breast, gynaecological and cervical tumours.
Positions in public organisations
- Member of the Board of Directors, Catalan-Balearic Oncology Society for 2 years (1998 - 2000).
- President of the GOCO for 2 years (1999 - 2000).
- President of the Catalan-Balearic Oncology Society, from September 2006 to September 2008.
- President-elect of the Spanish Society of Radiation Oncology (SEOR), from October 2007 to October 2009.
- President of the Spanish Society of Radiation Oncology (SEOR), since October 2009.
Outstanding Academic Achievements
- Graduate of Medicine and Surgery, University of Barcelona.
- Graduate with Bachelor's degree, Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Specialist in Radiation Oncology. Title issued by Ministerial Order of the Ministry of Education and Science. Doctorate in Medicine and Surgery, Autonomous University of Barcelona, qualification: unanimously granted cum laude. The thesis entitled “Conservative treatment of Locally Advanced Breast Cancer” was directed by Professor A. Biete.
- Supervisor of Radioactive Installations. Title issued by the Ministry of Industry and Energy; and the Nuclear Energy Board in 1992 and renewed annually since then.
- Associate Lecturer of the Department de Radiology and Physical Medicine in the Bellaterra teaching unit, 1987-1988 academic year.
- Associate Lecturer of the Department de Radiology and Physical Medicine in the Badalona teaching unit, 1988-1992 academic years.
- Tenured professor of the University of Barcelona with linked position. Resolution date 20 April 2007 and publication in the Official Government Gazette (BOE) on 21 April 2007.
Publications and conferences
- Various national and international publications.
- Various national and international conferences.
- Co-editor of the journal "Reports of Practical Oncology and Radiotherapy".
- Member of the editorial committee of the Journal of Contemporary Brachytherapy.
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Annals de Medicina".
- Committee member and reviewer of the Revista de Oncología. From 2000 to present.
Prizes and awards
- “Palmes Académiques” Medal granted by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1996 for collaboration between France and Spain in the field of radiotherapy.
- Ernest Lluch Prize granted in 2009 to the project “Cost Effectiveness and Cost Usefulness of the Main Treatments for Localised Prostate Cancer: a 7 Year Follow-up Study” (AATRM 436/05/200), where he was a member of the research team.
- Gold Medal of the SFRO (Société Française de Radiothérapie Oncologique) in 2009.
- Clàudia Elies Oncological Research Award from the Spanish Association of Oncology and Radiotherapy (AERO). Participation as member of the jury in 2008.
Member of private medical associations
- Member of the Committee and reviewer of the journal "Oncología", from 1997 to present.
- Member of the Spanish Association of Oncology and Radiotherapy (AERO).
- Member of the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO).
- Member of the American Brachytherapy Society (ABS).
- Member of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO).
- Member of the Catalan-Balearic Oncology Society.
- Member of the Latin American Association of Radiation Oncology (ALATRO).
- Member of the Spanish Breast Cancer Research Group (GEICAM).